Thursday, December 22, 2011

Memories of the NICU

Some of you may have heard this song.  I heard about this song probably about a month or so ago now.  I must say, I need to learn the lyrics to this song as it is such a catchy tune and oh so true!!  So I'm thinking if I blog it...I may learn it better :)

Here's the song....NICU at Night (The Preemie Song)

The first time I heard this song, it literally brought tears to my eyes.  When I first heard this song, I had to learn more about it...so now I'm sharing with all of you and I hope you find some enjoyment out of it.  For any of you who have never had a preemie, this song describes the NICU...just not the scary stuff.  For any of you that have had a preemie...it'll bring you right back to the NICU.  Because it is so catchy, it doesn't bring me back to the scary times, but really it brings me back to the first time I held Jonathan.

Jonathan 5 Weeks Old..My First Time Holding Him!
I was not emotional when I FINALLY held him (he was 5 weeks old the first time I held him)....I really thought I was going to be emotional though!  Whenever I think about that time though, I do tend to get a little emotional.

So this moment is where I go when I hear this song and yes, I get a little teary eyed.  I do stop and think about our extended family at the hospital.  If you have had a child in the hospital with an extended stay...I know you know what I mean.


So here are the lyrics to The Preemie Song.......
NICU @ NITE (The Preemie Song)
By:  Hugh Blumenfeld
I had a baby son, it was just a week ago
He came a little early, 'bout a month or so
So they put him in the neonatal unit where the premies all sleep
Up in maternity the mamas all coo
watch their babies grow fatter and gurgle but a few
are in the neonatal unit where the babies go beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep beep beep

Well they count all the fingers and they count all the toes
They count every single milligram he grows
They measure all the poop and they measure all the pee
And the little tiny babies go beep beep beep beep | beep beep beep beep

Little tiny babies with their bears and their dogs
And their wires and their tubes and the nurses in clogs
Make their rounds every hour, it's a very busy schedule to keep
And they rock and feed the babies and they all keep time
to the IV pumps and the monitors chiming
In the neonatal unit where the babies go beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep beep

May they all grow happy and healthy and strong
May we never know the difference before too long
Except for the nights when we wake from a dream
of a room full of babies going
beep beep beep beep | beep beep beep beep

aah-ah, ah-ah-ah
So, I just need to add that in looking for the lyrics to the Preemie Song, I came across another blogger on a preemie site (inspire.com) that listed a couple songs that reminded her of her time with her daughter in the NICU.  One of the songs was Through the Glass by Stone Sour.  I have to admit....this song is also quickly becoming one of my favorites.  This song is bringing me back to a much harder difficult time in the NICU and listening to the song (not watching the video), really takes me through our journey and I wish I would have connected this song before...although I probably would have just cried every time I heard it (kind of like I am now....I should really stop hitting repeat).

 So those are songs that I found after the NICU was done.  But while we were going through it, it did find myself crying a lot to Beautiful Boy by John Lennon and (ok I know it's going to sound weird, but here it goes) Friends in Low Places by Garth Brooks.  You know what though...I have some great family and friends that helped pick me up and get me through the day.  That's the thing with the NICU, it's a one day at a time, phones don't leave your side, jump when the phone rings, wide awake if it rings in the middle of the night, kind of thing.

So I'm sure I brought some tears to your eyes (sorry), but hopefully, I finished this blog with a smile on your face.

By the way...shot out to my Mom-in-Law....today is her birthday!!  We Love you Mom-in-Law aka Mom aka Grandma :)

No comments:

Post a Comment