Friday, December 16, 2011

12 Changes in 2012

Ok so I was going to blog this tomorrow from my laptop, however, I am awake and can not sleep.  So, just maybe I need to clear my mind a little bit.  There just won't be any pictures in this blog...there probably wouldn't have been to begin with...just sayin :).

For those of you who don't know what 12 in 2012 is, let me do a little explanation.  This is a little way of introducing new habits to better ourselves in the new year.  Instead of changing everything all at once and trying to keep up, we change (or add) 1 habit a month.  By the end of the month, it has become a new way of life by doing this on a daily basis, when the next month rolls around, we add another habit, and so on.  So this is in a way 12 new years resolutions, but I am not looking at it that way because I have never made a New Year's resolution knowing that I wouldn't keep it.  This is changing me for the better and just so happens to start in January.

So one of the things that I need to do is make my list.  This is what I have come up with, and I have put a lot of thought into this list, and who knows, it may change with a little inspiration from other people.

So here it goes....

January - Take 30 minutes each day and designate that as "me-time".  When hubby gets home, he gets the baby and I get my me-time with NO interruptions.  I have come to realize that I need to be able to recenter myself and not be constantly on my feet and moving to cook, clean and take care of everyone else.

February - I need to make a chore list and stick to it I started to do this a month ago, but I seem to get side-tracked and then end up doing everything all at once.  I actually did even make a chore list...the problem is I didn't stick to it.  (stole this one from a friend...thanks, I really needed that and you know who you are)

March - Set a budget.  I do pretty well on managing out finances.  I handle all the bills and the "checkbook" (quotes because there is more online billing anymore, but the term is pretty much still the checkbook).  I would like to make the budget a little bit more concrete.  Since we have decided that I am staying home, we are down 1 income.  I think I would be able to handle this easily, it would be getting my hubby to be able to do this as well.  He likes to go onto his card trading website and trade or buy things from other people (more trading then ever).  But he also likes to buy cards when sets come out.  He usually goes to the atm every week and pulls little by little out so I don't see a big hit out of the account and then have to shuffle some bills around.  So March is time to sit down and figure out what can be spent and when.

April - Start working out.  Notice, I set this in the spring for a reason.  Nicer weather!!  I want to create this habit when it is a little bit warmer out and I can start by just putting Jonathan in the stroller, getting out and going for some walks.  I know I said working out and not walks...but hears the thing, walking is working out, so if I can't get out to walk, due to rain or whatever, then I stay in and do a workout routine at home.  So I will have to do some planning on this part to figure out a workout routine to do.  I am open to suggestions, just remember, I'm not going to start until April.

May - Start to eat healthier.  Since I will now have the workout thing down, maybe I should start eating healthier too.  I have really not eaten very healthy the last few years, so I need to do this.  I have never really been the health nut, and I'm sure I will still have a couple of my greasy favorites for dinner...I just need to eat less of them and more of the better stuff!!  I have already done a few little changes in my life to start that...I just need to do it with the food now.  For example, (for any of you that could be looking for tips), I cut out pop from my diet a while back.  I started out getting the propel drink mixes and mixing them into my water (I also have reusable water bottles, very "green").  I found them to be very sweet so I just mixed the packet into more of the water, the packet also lasted longer that way.  As time went on, I decided to buy lemons instead of the packets.  Couple of reasons for this change:  1)  they were cheaper and 2)  they are healthier.  So got a little off topic there, but hopefully someone will find that useful!

June - Read an hour every day.  This is not to be confused with "me-time".  I need to start reading more often.  Whether it's me reading to Jonathan (which we all know would not take an hour), or me reading by myself, I need to start doing this.  If I can spend an hour on facebook reading status updates, then I can spend an hour reading a book to keep my brain sharp and healthy.  Not that I don't love seeing what everyone is up to, I just need to spend less time on the computer reading and more time reading an actual book.

July - Spend more quality family time I love spending time with my family.  However, Dan is working a lot and I'm hoping that maybe next year we will get more quality time in and do more family outings together.  His job may slow down the overtime next year, so this might be more possible with him.  There is always free activities to do around and I really want him to be there and be a part of it.  This also isn't just for him and Jonathan, this also includes my parents, siblings & in-laws.  Like I said...I love spending time with my family!!

August - Become more organized.  I do feel I am an organized person.  I just feel that since Jonathan has entered our lives, I have slipped a little and fallen behind.  I need to get back to the organized person I once was and file my paperwork as it makes it into my house.  I also need to reorganize some of our kitchen cabinets as they have slipped as well.

September - Blogg at least twice a week Maybe this is the reason I am blogging right now.  I can't sleep, so this happens.  As long as I keep up with my blogging, maybe my mind won't be so full of things and I will be able to rest a little bit more.

October - Learn something new everyday.  You always hear you learn something new everyday.  I really want to encourage that and actually learn something new everyday.  I need to open my mind up a little more and hopefully, this will make me a much more well rounded person.  I'm sure this will help me keep up on my blogging.


November - Finish my Christmas shopping by the end of November.  This year, I was nearly done with the exception I only needed to get a few gifts online by the end of November.  It felt AWESOME!!  Of course, I would find something along the way for Jonathan, but it seems you are never really done until you tell yourself to stop and then have the will power to do it!!  So I want to have the goal of having it completely finished, so we are not scrabbling trying to find a good deal.  I just want that sense of relief again...it really is a great feeling!!


December - Have better sleeping habits.  Jonathan has a bed time....I should too (as I type this at almost 3 AM).  It's a good thing is a good sleeper at night time...I'm sure I will be exhausted when I put him to bed tomorrow.  Hopefully, Dan will be able to stay on Days in 2013 so I can continue to see him more often, if he moves to afternoons, one of my changes here will be messed up.

I have to admit....I didn't have my list planned out until I started typing it.  I think I may have had 3 or 4 things planned in my head.  But as I started typing it, more stuff just came to me.  I did go to a few places for some inspiration, so between me typing this out and getting the inspiration, the brain storming just happened.  So for now, this is my list (with my explanations).  I may change some things and rearrange some as well...for now this sounds good, at least until I go to bed and read this with fresh rested eyes...LOL.

Now that my mind is clear...I'm going to bed

Until Next Time....

4 comments:

  1. I love your goals. Come 2012 we should have something to blog about everyday, our experience with our monthly change or goal! This will be a great way to express how we feel and also get encouragement along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you anymore!! Thanks for inspiring some of my goals!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I may set a list of goals for myself. It may be hard since I am expecting in May and that will throw my schedule all out of whack, but I'm definitely going to try. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knight...I must admit, being that I just had my son this past year, it will through some things out of wack a little bit. Do you're best and Best of luck through you're pregnancy...Prayers to you and baby for a healthy pregnancy AND delivery!!

    ReplyDelete