Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 in Review and Looking into 2012

So it is New Years Eve and a time to reflect on 2011.


I must admit, I really don't remember too much of 2011.  Jonathan came into our world WAY to early, but through all the tough times, we were all able to make it through and we now have our whole family under the same roof since June 9th.  I couldn't be more proud of him and am soo happy to say that he is my hero for what he has accomplished in his life so far.


We had an appointment on Friday, December 30th with the Neonatal Follow-up clinic.  One of the fellows that was in the NICU with him was in the clinic...he has not seen Jonathan since he was discharged, so he was very happy to see him and even came out into the waiting room to say hi to him before we went back to the room.  His admitting doctor was also in the clinic and she was soo happy to see him as well (again, she has not seen him since he was discharged).  The NICU nurse practitioner was in the clinic (she has seen him a couple times after discharge..and we have also been in contact a few times).  And of course the neonatal follow-up clinic isn't complete with out the therapist on hand to evaluate him.


Jonathan sitting all by himself...12/15/11
So the doctors were very happy with Jonathan's weight.  Just to refresh, in October, we went to the clinic and Jonathan had fallen from the 50th percentile down to the 25th percentile on the weight growth chart.  He is now climbing back up to the 50th percentile...just goes to show that he really was constipated and I was right that he needed something to help out...not just prune juice.  Jonathan is sitting up on his own (with support of his own hands).  He is just about ready to push himself up to get ready to crawl.  The therapist said she was super happy with him and everyone agreed that he is a textbook 6 month old right now...right were he should be (for his adjusted age).  


I even got him to stand long enough
for me to snap this picture...12/15/11
So since his weight was getting back on track, the doctors decided it was time to bring his formula down from Neosure 27 cal to Neosure 24 Cal.  So this will be able to give him more fluids in his diet.  This should help with the constipation and I should be able to cut back the miralax, but we will see how he does and gauge it off of that.  Something else that should help is they actually pulled him off of the lasix.  Since this is supposed to help him get rid of any retaining fluids, now that he doesn't have this medication (as long as he does well), this adds more fluids back into his diet as well.


As the therapist was evaluating Jonathan the doctors were watching and his admitting doctor said she didn't think there was any worry for CP (Cerebral Palsy).  She said that he is moving his arms and legs and kicking and it doesn't appear there will be any issues there.  She then looked at me and said what was his brain bleed and asked if it was a 2 or 3.  I then smiled and said it was a grade 4.  The fellow doctor that was there then said yeah, this is why we do what we do....it's a roll of the dice, but it makes it worth it to see babies like Jonathan...the ones that have everything against them and they pull through.


So to help shorten this up so I can move on to other topics, everything went well...we are down 1 more medication, the head tilt had corrected so there was no need for any physical therapy, formula calorie count is down.  Jonathan is even possibly ready for Cheerios!! (or a snack that dissolves in the mouth...apparently plain Cheerios does that).  We go back to the neonatal follow-up clinic in March.


So through everything that we have been through, we have managed to pull through that we ended the year on an extremely high note.


Now looking forward to 2012, I am looking at my 12 in 2012 and am happy with those decisions to make me a better person...So here's my list and I will print this out and hang it on my fridge or by my calendar (not sure which...maybe both)....so here is my 12:


January - 30 Minutes of "Me-Time"
February - Make a Chore List & Stick to it
March - Set a Budget
April - Have a Workout Routine
May - Eat Healthier
June - 1 Hour of Reading Time Daily
July - More Quality Family Time
August - Be more Organized
September - Blog at least twice a week 
October - Learn Something New Everyday 
November - Finish Christmas Shopping by the End of November 
December - Create better sleeping habits


At this time, I do feel these are all realistic, but as life goes on we will see if I need to make any changes or re-arrange some of my months. So, that is where I stand and I feel I have soo much more to say, but I will leave it here tonight....It'll give me something to say tomorrow :)


I hope everyone has (or had) a happy AND safe New Year!!


No comments:

Post a Comment